Frequently Asked Questions and Answers


Q: I don’t have an undergraduate degree. Would I be eligible to apply?

A: Most vacancies through The Education Network require you to have a completed undergraduate degree from an accredited/recognised university. However, you may qualify for some of our volunteer programs in the Far East. Please feel free to apply online, and we can review your application to assess whether you are qualified for available opportunities.

Q: Which certifications am I required to have before applying?

A: Each position has its own specific job requirements. Some positions require specific types of certification (i.e. teacher certification/licensing), and some have specific experience requirements. Unless otherwise specified in the job description, the basic requirement is QTS within your own country..

Q: If I want to teach in the UAE, what kind of qualifications do I need?

A: Each position has its own requirements. Generally speaking, in order to teach in the UAE, candidates must have a valid teaching qualification and at least 1-2 years of full-time teaching experience. You must also be fluent in English language

Q: Are the requirements listed absolute, or will they make exceptions?

A: The requirements are established by our international partners, and as such are non-negotiable. Any qualifications that are preferred (rather than required) will be noted as such.

Q: What if I am not qualified for any of your current vacancies?

A: You are still welcome to submit your CV and we’ll be in contact with any suitable work that matches your skill set.

Q: I am not a native English speaker, but I speak English fluently. Am I still eligible to apply?

A: Most of our partner schools prefer to hire native English speaking teachers, but there are some schools that accept non-native speaking teachers. If you are a non-native speaker who is fluent in English, then you are still eligible to apply.

Q: Can my spouse and I apply together to teach abroad?

A: This can sometimes be possible. You and your spouse will be required to register separately with The Education Network. Since schools and regional organisations often hire multiple teachers at once. It is recommended that spouses who want to move and live together apply for the same/similar positions at the same time. You should also ensure you and your partner’s goals are known by your Consultant at The Education Network.

Q: I emailed you my resume. How come I haven’t received a response?

A: We receive a very high amount of applications and it could be that your current skill set does not match any of our current vacancies. However, if you think this might not be the case, we may have missed your application and would ask you to make alternative contact with us at your earliest convenience.

Q: Will I need to learn a new language?

A: No. All of our job postings are for English speaking teachers who will not be required to learn a new language. However, teaching and living abroad may prove to be the perfect opportunity to learn a new language if you choose to do so.

Q: I recently applied to teach abroad. Why have I not heard from you?

A: Unfortunately, only suitable candidates who qualify for an interview will be contacted. We encourage teachers to continue applying for positions they are qualified for, even if they have not been contacted previously.


Interview Process

Q: When should I apply for positions with The Education Network?

A: Any time. We recruit for positions throughout the year. The process allows you to indicate when you are available to begin a teaching job overseas.

Q: Can I apply with a friend?

A: Friends can apply together, though may not be placed in the same school. While some schools will accommodate joint applications, we cannot guarantee specific placements. Contact your Consultant directly if this is the case.

Q: How does the process work?

A: You will first need to submit your CV to The Education Network or apply directly to a vacancy that you’ve seen advertised on our website or through our associate job boards. If you meet the requirements to work abroad or for the position for which you’ve applied, a Consultant from our International Recruitment Team will be in contact to discuss the application process with you and to advise you on suitable roles.

Q: Do I have to apply to each job separately?

A: We recommend it, but it is not absolutely necessary. Once you have submitted your CV, you will be considered for all jobs for that match your qualifications and experience. However, applying directly to the jobs that interest you the most will ensure that your application is seen by a Consultant.


Q: Can I apply before I graduate?

A: If you are applying to positions as a university graduate, you are able to apply before your graduation date. However, please note that in most cases, you will be required to have your university degree in hand in order to obtain your visa. When you apply, make note of your anticipated graduation date on your resume, and your placement coordinator can let you know whether or not this will affect your application.

Q: Once I have submitted my application, am I guaranteed an interview?

A: Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. For more information on the hiring process, please contact us directly.



Q: Will I be responsible for paying for my own airfare?

A: Whether airfare is included will depend on the school or position to which you are applying. Some schools will provide return airfare a return flight, some provide one-way airfare, and some will ask you to pay for your own flight.

Q: Can I choose which city I will depart from?

A: In general, if it does not significantly increase the cost of the ticket, you can choose your city of departure.

Q: Will someone meet me at the airport?

A: Most schools will arrange for one of their representatives to meet with you at the airport. In the unlikely case that your school cannot meet you at the airport, The Education Network will assist you in making alternative arrangements.


Salary & Benefits

Q: What is an average annual salary for teaching abroad?

A: Salaries vary from school to school, and country to country. It is important to remember that although some countries have a much higher average salary than others, the cost of living in that country is probably higher as well. When you are calculating how much money you will be able to save, make sure you take into account the cost of living. See our cost of living links on our website under each country that we operate within.

Q: What benefits will I receive?

A: Much like salary, benefits vary greatly from position to position. Many institutions’ benefits include some or all of the following:

Round-trip airfare

Paid national holidays

Accommodation assistance

Health benefits

Family benefits (flight, accommodation, health insurance)

Contract completion bonus



Q: Will I receive any paid vacation or holiday time?

A: In most cases, you will be paid for national holidays that fall within your working schedule. Vacation time varies depending on your employer and the general standards of the country that you are working in. It is important to note that in some countries employees receive much less vacation time than an average European employee.


Sick Leave

Q: What happens if I get sick and am not able to come to work?

A: Each contract varies regarding sick leave. In most cases, you will need to let your employer know in advance that you are not able to come to work and you may be required to submit a doctor’s note.

Q: Will I get paid for sick days?

A: Different schools have different rules. For instance, most schools in Asia will not compensate you for sick days. However, some schools allow you a certain number of sick days per year, while others have a system in place that allows you to work with your colleagues to ensure that your classes are covered.



Q: Do schools offer free accommodation?

A: Many schools provide or subsidize housing, and those that do not will often assist you in finding a suitable place to live.

Q: If the school offers housing, will I be sharing with other teachers?

A: Accommodation benefits differ from school to school and country to country.  For instance:  the majority of our Middle Eastern placements include a single furnished apartment.  In other countries, if shared accommodation is provided, it will be shared with other foreign teachers. In this case, you will have your own room, but will share common areas such as the kitchen, living room, bathroom, and laundry facilities.


Family & Pets

Q: Can I bring my pet?

A: It will depend on the country and your accommodation. This is something that can be discussed with your Consultant when you reach the interview stage.

Q: Can I move and live with my family?

A: It depends on the position, but your spouse and up to two dependents may be able to join you abroad. Airfare and other benefits may also be provided for your family, such as an education allowance for your children. Your Consultant will be able to discuss what options are open to you and your family when you reach the interview stage.


Medical Insurance

Q: Do I need to purchase health insurance before I leave?

A: When traveling and living overseas, it is always safer to have your own private health insurance plan. We suggest that you purchase a health insurance plan with coverage for the duration of your entire stay. Health benefits are often included in your contract, but we still strongly suggest a private plan.

Q: Am I required to do a general health check before I leave?

A: Most countries will require you to get a health check before you can be issued a visa. Even if you are not required to get one, we strongly suggest that you visit your family practitioner for a general check-up before you leave for your time abroad. Taking into consideration any adventure travels that you may embark on during your time away from teaching, please make sure that you ask about any specific immunizations that you may need.


Deductions from pay

Q: Will local taxes be deducted from my pay?

A: Each country has very specific laws governing how foreign workers are taxed. In most countries, local taxes will be deducted from your pay and then at the conclusion of your employment, a percentage of your taxes will be refunded to you. The percentage of taxes returned varies widely depending on the country where you are working.

Q: Will I have any other deductions?

A: You may be required to pay for a percentage of your local health insurance and pension plan. The percentage of the deduction will depend on the country that you are working in, but this will be clearly outlined in your contract prior to your departure.


Visa Procedure

Q: What kind of visa will I need for teaching abroad?

A: For most Middle Eastern countries, you will need to apply for and obtain a work visa via your sponsor (usually a school) prior to your departure. The Education Network will assist you in your visa application process if it’s needed.

Q: What does a work visa look like? Is it a card?

A: Work visas vary by country. It can be issued as a card, or a page or stamp affixed to your passport.

Q: How do I apply for a work visa?

A: If you successfully obtain a teaching position with one of our partner schools, The Education Network will advise and assist you throughout the visa application process.

Q: Who will pay for my work visa?

A: In most cases, teachers are responsible for the costs associated with obtaining a work visa.

Q: How long will it take to get a work visa?

A: This depends on a number of factors – the country where you will be working, the time of year, the type of visa, etc. Your placement coordinator can provide more detailed information during the application process. Visas can take anywhere from a few weeks to more than a month to be processed.


Pre-Departure Preparations

Q: What is the Pre-Departure Package?

A: Before you start your job abroad, The Education Network will make sure that you are well prepared for the challenge. Country-specific information will also be provided.

Q: Does this service cost anything for teachers?

A: This is a FREE service to our Teachers